CONSTITUTION OF THE BIRMINGHAM GROTTO
of the NATIONAL SPELEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
1. The name of the organization shall be the Birmingham Grotto of the
National Speleological Society (NSS).
2. The purpose of this Grotto shall be the same as that of the NSS, with
the added goal of furthering the aims of the NSS within the Birmingham
3. Membership in the Birmingham Grotto shall be extended to all persons
in the Birmingham area who are interested in caves and caving. All
members are encouraged to join the NSS.
4. The Executive Committee of the Birmingham Grotto shall be composed of
the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer.
5. The Birmingham Grotto of the NSS shall be organized without monetary
profit to individual members.
6. Any property held by the Birmingham Grotto shall revert to the NSS in
the event of dissolution of the Grotto.
7. This Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds favorable vote at
any meeting of the Grotto, provided that notice of proposed changes be
in the hands of members 30 days prior to the date of the meeting.
8. The Constitution and By-Laws of the NSS shall be binding on this
BY-LAWS OF THE BIRMINGHAM GROTTO
of the NATIONAL SPELEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
1. The Executive Committee shall have full power to conduct and
supervise all business of the Birmingham Grotto, draft and adopt changes
to the By-Laws, appoint committees, propose dues, and perform all other
functions incident to the proper conduct of the Grotto.
2. The officers of the Grotto shall be the Chairman, Vice-Chairman,
Secretary, and Treasurer. They must be NSS members and shall hold
office for a period of one calendar year.
A. Election shall take place at the December Grotto meeting.
B. Vacancies shall be filled by special election at the next regular
C. Election shall be by majority vote of the members present.
3. The Executive Committee of the Birmingham Grotto shall be composed of
the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer. The outgoing
Grotto Chariman shall be an ex- officio member of the Executive
Committee for one year and shall have the same voting privileges as the
4. Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be called at the discretion
of the Chairman. Notice of the meeting time and place shall be given to
all members of the Committee a reasonable length of time before the
meeting shall take place.
5. The Executive Committee shall have the power to authorize such
publications of the Grotto as may be deemed necessary.
6. An annual report, as required by the NSS By-Laws, shall be prepared
by the Secretary of the Grotto.
7. The Grotto shall hold a regular monthly meeting at a time and place
determined by the Executive Committee.
8. Dues for membership in the Birmingham Grotto shall be proposed by the
Executive Committee and subject to approval by a two-thirds majority
vote of the members present.
9. These By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds favorable vote of those
present at a regular Grotto meeting, provided that notice of the
proposed changes be in the hands of the membership 30 days prior to the
date of the meeting.
The Birmingham Grotto of the National Speleological Society was charted to further the exploration, scientific study, and conservation of caves. We invite you to check out our photos and projects, and hope to see you underground soon!
Warning: Caving is an inherently dangerous activity. The pictures and descriptions in this site are not meant as training or instructional aides. As always, there is no substitute for proper instruction from qualified sources mixed with a generous application of common sense.
© 2015 Birmingham Grotto
P.O. Box 59607
Birmingham, Al 35259
All material on this site is the property of the Birmingham
and may not be reproduced without written consent.